Specs & DetailsExterior Color: black
Interior Color: green
Miles Driven: 2 miles on resto
Those of you who attend the 356 Registry East Coast Holiday will be familiar with this spectacular 1953 Hoffman DeLux Cabriolet, as it has won best of show for the last two years! It has been restored as close to original as possible, with many original parts. It is painted as it was when delivered in black, with contrasting metallic green dash and trim. Beautiful green leather interior and green canvas top. The leather and trim colors were matched from original, intact, un-oxidized samples. New windshield. The visors were restored using correct metric plastic, cut from the intact original. Except for one alloy nut and one washer, all of the visor hardware is original to the car. The inner door panels are the original aluminum pieces. The aluminum threshold trim, as are the aluminum trim pieces for the top frame and dashboard, are restored pieces original to the car. Many examples of the early Cabriolets are missing the aluminum trim over the window and around the cowl, they are present on this car. The rear window and wood frame are original, and the perfectly mitred window surround rubber is the correct color and profile. All of the hardware for the trim and rubber is original, replated, slotted hardware, and 90% of it is original to the car. The door rubber and weatherstripping, along with the wiring harness, was supplied by Tom Birch and are all correct Pre A type. The step plate rubber is original. The harness was installed, wrapped, and connected to the original fuse block as it was originally, using German cloth electrical tape. The lights, mirror, correct Pre A glass reflectors, and antenna were restored by Victor Miles. The tag light is exquisite. The chrome and engraving is perfect, as it is on all of the other lights. All of the knobs and escutcheons, as well as the door handles and window cranks, are original parts, most being original to the car. The leatherette covered astray is unrestored. The pull out map light still has it's original plastic diffuser. The lighter works, as does the radio which was restored by Wilford Wilkes. The oil gauge did not need restoration, while the rest of the gauges were restored. The SWF fog light switch has green illumination to match the color scheme. No holes were drilled in the bumper or body to mount the period correct Bosch fog lights. The turbo rings are restored originals, and are mated with rechromed original hubcaps. The spare also wears a turbo ring. It is a numbers matching car, with the exception of the engine, which is a correct freshly rebuilt 1500 Super with an un-numbered case, indicating that was a factory replacement unit. The engine was meticulously assembled with all of the correct tin and hardware, down to the bracket which holds the dipstick oil temperature sender conduit. An original Abarth pea shooter muffler, which has been ceramic coated, is installed. All of components for the heater / defroster are correct, and functioning! Much effort was expended on assembling the correct tool kit, which is in the original pouch. The trunk mat, the floor mats, and the wooden floorboards are all original to the car. The original battery cover and wooden base are installed with a tar top Narva battery. The car currently has an Optima battery installed. Included is a special exact reproduction key fob in green leather, it holds the keys to all of the functioning original locks. This fine car was featured in the August issue of Excellence, and can be seen on their website.
From Twitter04/22/2013 - rodrigo - link
red porsche 356, 1953 (at @LeGrandPalais) [pic] —
Fairfax, Virginia, U.S.A.
portfolio | web site
Posted: 06 Aug 2010
From Wikipedia The Porsche 356 was the company's first production automobile. It was a lightweight and nimble-handling rear-engine rear-wheel-drive 2-door sports car available in hardtop coupe and open configurations. Design innovations continued during the years of manufacture, contributing to its motorsports success and popularity. Production started in 1948 at Gmünd, Austria, where approximately 50 cars were built.